This blog is an opportunity for Ms Fillion's English students to voice their opinions about the books they are reading as part of their Individual Novel Study. My hope is that this generates discussion and encourages further reading.
Monday, October 25, 2010
Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay
Shocking, Suspenseful, Heartbreaking
Fiction based on the Vel d'Hiver round ups of the Jews in Paris, France during WWII.
Tragedy, History
Plot Preview
While reading this story, I cried as I thought about just how lucky I am to have been born to middle class parents in present day Canada where I have shelter, food, and safety. The characters in this story are fictional; however, the terrifying ordeal is representative of that experienced by any number of real life Jews. Even though I have studied history and am well aware of the horrors of WWI and WWII along with many other past and present conflicts, every time I learn about a new event I am struck again by how cruel humans can be to each other. Why do we do this over and over again? Why is this going on in the world right now? Resources? Power? Fear? Are these good enough reasons to justify torture and murder? Why do we seem to be bent on destroying ourselves? Is there any hope?
4.5/5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI found this book okay. What I didn't like is how the book went from past to future. I couldn't follow it.
ReplyDelete