Tuesday, April 10, 2012

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque


 
Pitiful , Gloomy, Depressing 

Fiction based on a man's (Paul Baumer) life throughout the
process of World War l.
Plot Preview

          This is a book of great detail. Erich Maria Remarque made all the settings so clear that it was almost like I was there. I enjoyed how this book gave me many facts about World War I that I never knew before, an example is I never knew that German was so involved and that planes were even invented yet. What really was the main focus throughout the whole book was the suffering of the solderers and even the people not involved in the war. I was amazed at the strength these solders had after eating only a loaf of bread for days on end. This book was written to show the depression that war brings on the world, and that no one gains anything from war but the team that wins is the one with the least losses. At the end the author puts a whole page of the main characters thoughts on how he will go back to normal life and realizes he will never be the same. Paul Baumer is the main character. The story starts off with him and his friends eating a fest and receiving gifts. He is a young boy that is in the army instead of school, but he does not know how much this war will change him. Paul Baumer is an ordinary fellow that has his own dreams and wants. He has his mom and sister at home waiting for him to return safely. Paul is loving , for example he is trapped in a trench in the middle of "no mans land" and an enemy soldier falls in his trench and he is forced to kill the man and Paul is struck by grief for hours and wishes it never happened even though he knows that the man would have done the same to him. I thought this novel was abundant with lessons which made it an interesting novel. The first two chapters were a little boring but after the book was entertaining and exiting. The book ended on a sour note so it is not meant for a reader that wants a fairy tale ending but i enjoyed the book all the through to the end. I would highly recommend the book.











                                                         4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.